寻找天使

nuffnang

Monday, April 18, 2011

Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 - Muaks! Love the lens!

With my sister's wedding day getting near, it really gives me tons of reason to go on a shopping spree. :P
So, as usual, if you shooting for actual wedding day, the ultimate lens you can't afford to miss (if you are using an APS-C sensor dslr) is the 17-50mm f2.8.

There are a few choices for Canon camera:
1. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM - The King.
2. Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] - The Longest Name
3. Sigma 17-50mm EX DC OS HSM - Best value (for me. :P)

I have always want to get choice #1, but the price always drive me away as I can actually get a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM with its price tag. Then, I look for choice #2, Tamron, always the cheapest in this range, but I had own Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, and I really don't like Tamron (my own problem lar).

I had never try a Sigma lens before, and from all the review I read on, seems like choice #3 really looks good. The price is not too high, the build quality also ok, IQ looks nice, seems like really value for money. So, I check out prices from Penang road and compare against shashinki and amazon, and found out that amazon is having the best deal! With my friend visiting US and coming back on time before the "Actual Wedding Day Photography Workshop", and with his permission, I ordered the lens from amazon and send to his apartment.

After 2 weeks, tada! lens in hand, kekekeke......

First impression when I hold it is -> solid! The best part is the lens come with a pouch (eventhough now the pouch perma stay in the drawer) and lens hood. The one part I always like about the 3rd party lens is got free lens hood! Unlike Canon's lens, only if you get the L lens that you are gonna get the free lens hood.


When I start to use the lens, there is one downside I straight away realized -> The zoom ring is tight! It is so hard to turn it smoothly, so no good for videography. Maybe it needs some wear and tear to make it smoother. :P


The switch for focusing and OS mechanism situated on the left side is big and obvious. So, you won't mistakenly switch it or not sure you had switch it or not when you are behind the view finder.
Another downside is the HSM, it is a micro HSM, so no full time manual focus overriding. Need to switch from AF to M for manual focusing. The motor is a bit noisy just like my Canon EF-S 18-200mm.


I always like the focusing distance window, but for the price I paid, I have to be satisfied with the marking on the focus ring. It is ok for me since I don't understand a single thing on it anyway. :P


The printing on the front of the lens.


The best part I like about Sigma -> Made in Japan! :P

Some test shots from the lens on 60D:

Custom made color gel. Learn this from a Pro -> Kevin Chooi


The tools for color gel making.


My photography buddy, and he is hardcore Nikon fans. so, Canon fans and Nikon fans can be together happily. :P


Lunch@Kim Gary, before getting a UV filter for the lens.


Test shot on a focus test chart. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...