寻找天使

nuffnang

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Canon EOS 60D - My new toy...

It has never cross my mind that I'll need a new body in near time. It all hits when my current Canon 350D start some weird behavior firing the external flash during my "sotong" friend's wedding day (fortunately I'm not the sole photographer). It even more convincing when my "jelly fish" friend lost my CF card after the morning ceremony end.

Well, I do further test on my 350D and confirm that it'll trigger the flash, but only when it feels good (which means I have no idea when it'll fire, and it won't). Ok, I'm not the pro, but at least I know all the control of my dslr after using it for 5 years. I'm sure that the flash is attached properly and the flash is on trigger mode.

After asking on the price, wah......it is so much cheaper compare with 50D! Ya, there is some catch on the pricing:
1. No more metal body.
2. Joystick is gone (replaced with 8 direction pad on the 2nd scroll ring).
3. No more weather shield.
4. lower fps (not really much lower, from 6.3 -> 5.3). But I suspect this is due to the larger count of pixel on the sensor, 15Mpx -> 18Mpx.

But, there are lots of extra added in as well:
1. Articulating screen.
2. 1040,000 dots (3:2) LCD screen.
3. Higher ISO -> 6400.
4. Auto ISO mode with ISO limiter.
5. Full HD movie.
6. Wireless speedlight control.
7. Infra-red remote shutter release.
8. Lighter weight and smaller body design (compare with 50D). It feels nice in my hand!

So, based on all the above, I decided to get 60D instead of 550D which is in the same range as my 350D (must upgrade at least half a class. :P)


350D and 60D sitting side by side, you can see that 60D is not much bigger compare to 350D from the front.


If compare from the top, the 60D looks much larger. The mode dial and power switch is at different side, really need sometime to get use to it. But the extra LCD screen at the top is really nice and helpful.


Compare from the back. The 60D with LCD facing in, but can see that the screen size area is really lots of different! I really like the new screen, the old 350D LCD sometime make me frustrated as you can't really judge well by just looking at it (too small), especially for group photo where you thought everyone's eyes are open but when examine at pc, damn, there are 1 person with eyes close...that's why I really appreciate the 60D's 3 inch screen. :P


The new mode dial...


The 350D mode dial, which I prefer this more, really like the shining metal ring. :P


60D view finder size, much larger compare to 350D.


350D view finder, which sometimes I found it a bit small...:P


60D 2nd scroll ring with the integrated 8 directional pad. It needs sometime to get used to using it, currently I'm still try to getting used to it so that won't accidentally press the directional pad while I try to use the scroll.


350D 4 direction pad, it is really slow to try to change setting using this.


The top LCD screen at the right side. I like this!


60D articulating screen!!!!! Love this.


350D screen.


60D sign, placed on top instead of bottom like 350D.


350D sign.


60D, ISO 6400


60D, ISO 1000


60D, ISO 2000

Ya, 60D ISO can go by 1/3 step!!!!!! nice......

Basically, eventhough Canon decided to strip off some X0D features, I'm still satisfied with the camera. Really amazed with how much advancement of the technology just after 5 years. :P

2 comments:

  1. Wow thank you for posting this! I've had a 350d for awhile now & I just upgraded. I'm currently waiting for my 60d to come in the mail. You're the only post out there that has shown the difference between the two not in specs. I think what makes me worried is that it is a downgrade in the mid entry than an upgrade but what makes it worth it is that it IS an upgrade to my 350d.
    So once again thank you for this post! =^_-=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that the post has help you out. I bet that you'll love the 60D. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...